Friday, March 11, 2011

The time is now

So...

The Little Rock Marathon has come and gone.

When I started this I said that I was shooting for around 2:15.  I threw that out the window after injury and illness and told myself "just finish with out having to walk" and it's a success.

I have 0 experience with races. One 5k is all I've ever run so I have no clue or strategy.  Anyone surprised?

I did try to keep in mind one phrase I read somewhere "you can't bank miles."  It means you can't win the race in the first miles.  You win it in the end so save gas for the end.

Fortunately my friend Special K and 2 of her friends were running so I had good company to chill with ( see what I did there?).

 It was cold.
                           

I was expecting a temp of about 50 degrees.  Instead I get 38 with a windchill of 32.  No problem it's what I trained in.  However, I did not do a good job of stretching beforehand so my left shin burned for the first 2-3 miles.  It finally worked out but I really though it was going to be a looooong day.

I started the race having to pee.  That sucked.  I thought I had that handled but an hour out in the cold proved otherwise.

At mile 2 this was most of the other guys.  North Little Rock you can thank me for not marking my territory.  I did lose 5 minutes around mile 4.5 waiting on a port a potty.

After reliving myself I was relieved (see what I did there?) to find I felt good.  Mile 5 hit and I felt good.  Mile 7, halfway there, still good. 8, 9 10?  At mile 10 I literally got chills when I realized all I had  left was a morning run.  Just over 3 miles left and I felt great.

I was too conservative.  So, I decide to leave it all on the road and start passing people, Never mind the fact that I'm screwed if I'm too tired to move afterwards.  I have a 3/4 mile walk to the card and I'm all alone driving myself home.

I turn onto La Harp at the old Balch Oldsmobile building and I'm feeling great.  I'm still passing people

One woman actually cheers me as I pass her.  For that, I say to her thank you.  Not many sports where that happens, it's nice.  All us mere mortals are competing only with ourselves.

I finally see the finish line and break into a run.  I can hear the announcer saying every body's name as they cross.  Then I cross and... he mispronounces my name.  No biggie, I'm used to it just gimme my medal!

                                           

The finish line was great someone ran up to me and put one of the astronaut silver foil blankets on me.  They put a medal around my neck.  I got my picture taken.  People are holding out food to me.  I'm special!

It was somewhere in the haze of bananas, Little Debbie's Swiss Rolls, beer and chocolate milk I realized I was soaking wet and freezing my a$$ off.  The astronaut blanket is for $#/T!

                                                   

The astronaut blanket is a silver freakin trash bag.  I was so disappointed.  I very quickly realized I was not so steady on my feet.  My legs had been running for 2 hours straight and didn't quite grasp that they could do other things.  Standing, walking it all took concentration.  I waited for Special K for as long as I could stand it (i waited1 banana, 1 swiss roll, 1 milk and 2 beer if you are wondering) and had to bail.

My time was 2:10:56 under my goal but not my best.  Got a medal anyway.



I have a 5K in mind for the day before my 39th birthday and another half marathon in line for October.  This time I want under 2 hours.  The full marathon next March is coming soon.  So is 40.

If you want to see my dramatic finish you can go to the link below and watch.  I'm the dashing fellow in all black with the white hat (that's how you can tell I'm one of the good guys).  I come in at the top at around 13 seconds into the video.
http://www.asiorders.com/view_user_event_video.asp?EVENTID=75437&BIB=4593

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Good And You Will Be Lonesome

I've been thinking a lot lately about a song released in 1988, on the album Hot Water by Jimmy Buffett, called "That's What Liv...