Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Some People Claim There's a Woman to Blame...

As mentioned before, my lovely wife and daughter got me a fabulous 40th birthday present.  I was to spend a fun filled week on a dive boat in the Bahamas with my buddy Brad.  My wife (a planner) had this worked out 2 years in advance.  She presents it to me on my birthday in March.  Sounds great right.  It is.  Except the trip is for the last week in AUGUST!  Talk about anticipation.

Flash forward 5 months.  I'm torn, I cannot wait to get on this boat but...I've been anticipating it for 5 effin' months.  Once it's over it's over. It's the marathon blues all over again.  It's the Event!  You plan for it. You dream about it.  What do you do once it's over?  Can it possibly live up to everything you've built it up to in your mind?!

T-minus 5 days: I get a call from Brad.  The dive service has emailed a warning.  Tropical Storm 9 has begun to build.  Last chance to buy trip insurance before it becomes a named storm.  2 hours before the official naming I buy trip insurance through DAN (Divers Alert Network).

T-minus 4 days: Tropical Storm Issac is heading toward Cuba and Hispaniola.

T-minus 3 days: Hurricane Isaac hits Hispaniola.

T-minus 2 days: Cuba!

D-Day: 7:45 phone call cancelling trip.


Dammit...it's all about the comma.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Good And You Will Be Lonesome

I've been thinking a lot lately about a song released in 1988, on the album Hot Water by Jimmy Buffett, called "That's What Liv...